Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Timberman 70.3 - part 2

My trip to my homeland started with a visit to Kennebunkport, Maine to see my Dad and Stepmom. They treated me to a great dinner, complete with fantastic wine (I came by my love of wine naturally). I can't even describe how relaxing it was to sit on the back deck, looking out on the saltmarshes to the Atlantic Ocean. We were entertained by hummingbirds, Goldfinches and Baltimore Orioles (as in the bird - not the ball players). Of course, I was thinking, "Why do I really need to do another race? I could just stay here."

I headed back to New Hampshire on Thursday. After all, it was my brother Matt's birthday. Matt, by the way, had a great race at Timberman. He finished in 5:30, which was topped off with a super-strong run (1:47). It must've been all those good birthday vibes that contributed to his speedy day.

It was during the birthday dinner that Matt mentioned how much fun it would've been to see each other on the run. This casual comment got my little wheels turning....maybe I could just walk the run...or run half of it...or something.

On Friday, Coach Blake arrived, along with one of my other brothers (and his three awesome sons). Ask Blake to tell you what it's like to go on a Boston Red Sox-themed cornfield maze adventure with me, my mom, and my three nephews. Never a dull moment in the Leahy household!

We enjoyed a laidback pizza dinner on Friday. By this time, two of my sisters-in-law had joined the party. In fact, it really felt like a party! Remember: beer does contain carbs.

On Saturday, Matt, Blake and I headed up to the Timberman registration. Alas, I discovered, despite an email plea, I was still registered as an aquabiker. I tentatively asked the lady in charge (Clare)if I "could-possibly-even-though-I-know-I'm-a-pain-and-it's-okay-if-you-say-no" switch back to the full 70.3 race. She smiled and said, "Yes."

I was in. Gulp.

I completely scored with my transition spot. I was right on the end with lots of space. I also happened to be right next to the wetsuit stripping area AND the start of the run. The only negative was I was fairly far away from the bike start & finish. While I racked my bike, I couldn't help to notice the fairly large waves that the wind kicked up on the lake. This ain't no White Lake, people.

After a 2:30 a.m. wake-up call (you read that right), we - after a quick stop for coffee - headed to the race. We arrived on site close to 4:00 a.m. We were able to park about three rows away from the transition area. I tucked myself in for another hour of rest. Believe it or not, I was able to fall asleep until close to 5:00 a.m. From there, it was the usual pre-race routine (and futile efforts to keep the nerves at bay).

The Swim:
First, the lake is absolutely gorgeous. It was very well-marked (a big relief after IM Brazil). We had plenty of fanfare before the start with the singing of the National Anthem (and the Canadian National Anthem) while crazy guys parachuted in. Yup - kinda like the start of the Super Bowl!
My big goal was to stay calm for once. I started off - and worked to get into a comfortable stroke as soon as possible. No panic attacks! I even managed to hang with my red cap wave for most of the time. However, after the final turn, I (along with everyone else) was slapped in the face constantly by chop. I swallowed a big gulp of water - and had to stop while I coughed and sputtered (and panicked a bit). I quickly realized that it was easier to swim when my head was IN the water, so off I went.
I am not used to being in such an early wave, so it was tricky and somewhat unnerving for me (just as Kate O mentioned in her blog) to stake out my spot in the water. At one point, I literally used some dude behind me as a swim wall. As he was trying to swim over me, I kicked off of him (both legs, mind you). He backed off. Don't mess with a trigirl!
Next time, I need to become more comfortable swimming more and sighting less. I think my habit of sighting so much definitely slows me down. Luckily, IM Lake Placid looks as well-marked as Timberman.

The Bike:
When you are surrounded by male swim waves (as we were), you will most likely be passed on the bike...a lot (unless your name is Chrissie Wellington, of course). It seemed that everyone was passing me. But, really now, a 35-year old guy should be a little stronger than me, so I decided to just ride my own race. Like a dummy, I forgot to reset my bike computer, so it really wasn't of much use to me. I decided to just ride like Molly W. Molly rode a perfectly-paced bike split at White Lake. She had a great negative split and was smiling (as she left me in the dust). I kept repeating, "Just ride like Molly." Before I knew it, I was near the turn-around. I (being very sentimental) got teary thinking about seeing my mom. There she was - waiting with a big smile on her face. I turned around to wave at her one more time - and nearly crashed. Yikes. Along the way, I saw Kate O, Shawnie, Lynn and Sarah. My brother Matt passed me in the last 8 miles. By the way, riding the Blue Ridge in preparation for Timberman was a very good idea.

The Run:
In my other half-ironman races, my half-marathon times have all been within a minute or two. However, with this race, I had to focus simply on just doing the run. I didn't worry about my time. I just thought about getting from one water stop to another. The run course was not flat, but it did have spectacular views of the lake. I saw everyone out there - my brother, Blake, Karen, Kate O, Shawn, Lynn, Fave, Melissa, Sharon, Bethany & Bart, Mary, Patti and Sarah. The crowd support, especially at the finish line, was outstanding. They even played music and announced all the finishers - just like a full Ironman.
Matt waited for me at the finish line. We grabbed our freeze pops,towels, medals, and water bottles - and headed to the lake. Blake joined us for a post-race cool down. It felt great to sit in that lake!

Because my time with my family was limited, my brother and I headed out of there fairly quickly. I'm sorry I didn't get to hang out post-race with my fellow trigirls - but I knew Mom was at home waiting - with a hug and a beer. I'd say she's a keeper!


TriGirl Kate O said...

It was so great having you along for the full 70.3 miles! Next time, stick around and we all celebrate with beer together. Great job!

Kate said...

Wow, you are impressive jumping in to the run like that. Must have been great to race with y our family there.

tri-ing races not cases said...

So glad you could switch back for your favorite part! You had a great race and no doubt having fun contributed to it. It was fun seeing you on the run course.

tryingtotri said...

It sounds like a great race! How wonderful to have your family there!

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job!!! You deserved the post-race sit in the lake! That sounds HEAVENLY!!


Molly Wash said...

I always enjoy your race reports! Congratulations on a great race and thanks for the dedication. :-)


matt_Leahy said...

First, I just want to say it was an honor to finally meet the legendary Tri-Girls. There sure are alot of you! I never seen so much pink during a race! For me, the best part of the event was finally doing a race with my lil' sister Susie, a.k.a Tude (in case you didn't know her family nickname) Seeing her on the bike and the run was very cool as was the post-race dicussion with her and Blake sitting in the lake. Looking forward to doing another race with all you Tri-Girls!