Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Last Saturday, I made a dumb decision (not my first). After the Gasparilla Challenge, I should've taken it easy and run (at most) 6 easy miles. Instead, I opted to do the 12 mile loop with the City Stadium runners. I will say that I had a lot of fun meeting a new group of runners! However, about half way through the run (at the 6 mile point....should've stopped!!), I felt a sudden tightness in my left hip. This was a new tightness and came on quite suddenly. Logically, I ran 6 more uncomfortable miles. DUMB. After the run, I could barely hobble around. I realized my hip flexor and glute were very angry with me, so I have become best buddies with ice and the foam roller. I've actually taken my foam rolling to a whole new level of pain with the introduction of the small, hard rubber ball. This can really get at the tight muscles more aggressively than the roller - and has helped them loosen noticeably loosen up. I've also gone to Barre class every day this week. The exercises in Barre are exactly what I need. They target all the areas of my body that running doesn't (particularly the hips, glutes and core). While the classes are super hard, I kinda love them. They are really challenging me, but I know I need it. I'm also going to get a deep tissue massage tomorrow. Hopefully, all of these things together will get me back to running quickly.

No comments: