Thursday, January 24, 2008

Small victories

Yes - another post about swimming.
While my foot is healing (and it is healing - I'm willing it to feel better), I'm focusing a little more attention than usual on swimming. I forced myself to attend Master's swim practice twice this week. I almost didn't make it to Monday's swim workout due to some medical issues with my sweet dog, Josie (that post is coming soon - don't worry, she's okay). A sad, hurting dog is a good reason to miss a workout, right? Except that the workout is only for an hour - and I knew my dog just wanted to sleep.
I'm thinking that maybe - just maybe - this little foot soreness is a "blessing in disguise" in that it's forcing me to hit the pool more than I'd like. I'm even going to try to squeeze in one more swim workout on Friday. Can you believe that I'm getting used to the somewhat nauseating smell of chlorine?
For me, swimming is not easy. I feel myself stretched to the max in terms of VO2 - and there are times when my shoulders just want to surrender. And really, the crazy "head up" drill that Jon & Karen like to incorporate into our drills makes me wonder if I might drown on the spot.
And yet...I like the challenge of it. I like the fact that it doesn't come easily to me. It's been a real effort to learn the basic freestyle stroke (forget about the butterfly - that is not on my to-do list - ever). Two years ago, I couldn't swim one length of the pool without stopping. I certainly couldn't breathe from both sides.
So, even though I'm in the novice lane, it's really a small victory for me that I can actually swim quickly enough to fit into any master's lane. I never, ever would've considered myself "master's material" two years ago.
Hmmmm....maybe I should take up Fave's offer to learn flip turns.
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am SO glad I have you in the pool with me! Together we will become Goldfish (you are joining over there next wednesday!) and if we have anything left in us after practice either day next week we can work on flip turns! We'll show that Peacock!

TriGirl 40 said...

You absolutely can - and have - look at all the progress you've made!

Unknown said...

Smooches to you both!

sq

margo said...

flip turns are fun! nothing like breaching like a whale after sprinting 25 yards! :)

i love being in a lane with you because you always push me a little harder than i feel like i can go - so know that your presence is always appreciated at masters!!

Unknown said...

and a smooch to you, too Margo!

sq