Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Back to the beginning

In 2007, I completed Ironman Florida. It was one of the most terrifying, exhilarating and memorable days of my life. I have often wished that I could go back there one day - and do that race one more time. Guess what? Wish granted! I (along with some super awesome people) signed up to take on IMFL one more time. I had sworn off long-distance races in light of my creaky knees. But, after consulting with the ever upbeat & optimistic team of Mark, Grandison & Cyndi, I was reminded that in the world of Ironman, "Anything is possible." My marathon time probably won't be anywhere near the time I had in '07, but that's okay with me. This will sound cliche, but I honestly feel lucky to be able to do the race at all. This time around, I am not terrified (at least not yet). I am just plain excited for this experience. By excited, I mean flat-out, Christmas morning excited. I don't particularly love the state of Florida, but I just love that race.
Apparently, a lot of other people love that race as it sold out in 16 minutes. Thank goodness I invested in an iPhone. Rick and I were driving home from Deltaville - basically in the middle of nowhere when it was time to sign up. My trusty iPhone did not fail me (seriously - how awesome is modern technology?) I could not believe how nervous I felt just signing up for darn race. Imagine my surprise when I actually got in? Wow.
So...what does this mean for that little race in Quebec I am also supposed to do? Well...my heart is 100% invested in IMFL. I'm not sure there is much room left in it for Quebec. I know that many of my crazy friends have successfully finished two Ironman races in one year. More power to them, I say. As for me, I think I'll stick to one 140.6 race per year. Does that make me sane?



No comments: