Thursday, August 20, 2009

Random thoughts..

So...good news/bad news on last weekend's workout...

First, the bad news: Rick and I didn't ride nearly as long as we had hoped. We mapped out a route from Deltaville to Saluda and back (twice). That would've given us about a 70 mile ride altogether. The problem was the road that we had to ride on (route 17) is full of very fast vehicles...who are not really keen on moving over for cyclists. It was actually a little scary. After almost 40 miles of stressful riding, we decided (for our own sanity & health) to cut the ride short.

Rick followed the ride up with an hour run. I went on a 45 minute walk with some of river friends (including my dog, Josie) followed by...drum roll please...a 20 minute run.

Well...my pace could barely be described as a "run" but it was faster than a walk. That, my friends, is the longest I have run since last October. My knees seemed to do okay, but I won't be adding additional time on my little runs for awhile.

Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll eventually be able to run about 3x/week for 30 minutes or so. But, I have learned my lesson (the hard way) and will not push my running beyond what my knees will allow.

1 comment:

o2bhiking said...

I may yet do cycling, Susie - actually I kind of have to in order to do a triathlon at some point. But I tell you, drivers and their total lack of interest in sharing the road with anything not in a 3,000 pound steel box scares the hell out of me.

Congrats on the great workout and on the running. Art