Monday, November 10, 2008

Looking ahead

I'm thinking about next year - triathlon-wise,that is. Not that I want to wish my time away. I don't. But, I need goals to keep me on track, and since my races are over for this year, I'm starting to ponder 2009.

1. Swim three times per week. I am one of those spastic kinds of triathletes who seems to forget how to swim if I am out of the pool for more than a week.

2. Baby my knees. I am also one of those triathletes who will run and run and run...even if my legs feel like they are about to fall off. I realize that I can't do that anymore. I am just figuring out what my knees seem to tolerate (the treadmill & nicely-cushioned tracks), what they don't like at all (split squats,step-ups, and running downhill) and what they love (swim workouts and drinking wine).

3. Maintaining balance. It is so easy to let one's life get a little out of whack, especially when training for endurance events. I've really had a lovely fall since I've had more time to focus on work and healing my knees. While I have really, really missed training with my buddies, I also feel more organized and effective in my career. I'm also looking forward to cheering for the trigirls, Rick and some of my other friends (go Amanda and Erin!)this Saturday.

4. Sneaking in some more reading. I love books. I love to read. So, why don't I do more of it? I definitely want to change that - Ironman training or not. And what do you know? The trigirls have their very own book club - that I've never attended. How lame is that? My goal is to get to the next TG book club. No - not the one on Wednesday. I haven't read the book...but the next one - in January. Hold me to it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to MY book club in December! Lynn D, Deanna B, Kate O all come. You'd love the book. It's about a ten year girl in KY in the 1950s with Tourette's and no one knows what's wrong with her. If you can make it, I'd love to see ya! (Icy Sparks, by Gwyn Hyman Rubio)

Diane said...

I need to hang out with your knees... and drink some wine!!!! :)

And i'm totally not making this up - my word verification for this post is "speedlish." It's going to be my new word and i'm going to use it in a sentence: "SusieQ is speedlish when she runs."